Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The "Pink Bathroom" at my grandparents' house

The room has looked exactly the same for as long as I can remember. It's halfway down the hall with the fantastic beige carpet, and it always seems to radiate light. The two rooms are separated by a wooden sliding door. Everything is pink and green, from the shower curtain with the hummingbirds, to the somewhat fluffy bath mats. Inside the shower are a bunch of weird herbal shampoos, and the soap that smells like babies. I associate it with the smell of the lake, probably because that's where I shower after swimming. Across from the shower is this kind of strange wooden box, on top of which usually sits a whitish-yellow rubber duck, a big plastic ship with a motor that no longer works, and the plastic mussel that squirts. The fan only sometimes works.

In the other room is the skylight, which pretty much guarantees that no one ever turns the lights on, even though they're awesome and these white globe-things stick out from the mirror. The green fuzzy/spidery plant just gets bigger all year until Grandma finally trims it (or has Jason trim it, I'm not sure which). Under the cupboards is a stool that slides out, but I haven't used it for years. Mostly it just makes it hard to open the cupboards to get to the towels.

And there are always two stacks of upside-down small paper dixie cups, one on either side of the sink. They make the water taste like paper after you brush your teeth.


********

we stayed at Grandma's house last night.
It's hard to see how much Grandpa forgets these days, and how much help he needs all the time. I'm glad he still remembers the pencil trick though.

No comments: