I am incredibly stressed and frustrated and upset over the amount of work I have to do for finals and the amount of logistics I have to work out to get all my (stuff) home. Bleargh. I've cried over it three times today, which is unnecessary; the plan for tonight is a rough draft of my AmCon essay, study for french, box up some clothes, fill out W4 and call the bike shop again.
But in the shower a few minutes ago I was thinking about something that really bothers me. People (myself probably included) seem to have this idea that if your life doesn't include certain experiences that their life does than yours is somehow less legitimate.
Example 1: Public vs. Private school. I went to private high school. Many people seem to think that somehow I am less of a person because of this. Sure, there are some experiences you probably had at public school that I didn't have at private school. Sure, those experiences are valuable and I'm not saying that you didn't learn things I did not. But why are those experiences somehow more legitimate than the experiences I had at my school? You don't know HALF of the things that went on when I was at private school, so why do you presume to look down on me because of it? Plus, I went to the school I did for a lot of reasons. NONE of them were because it was private. Just saying. Why do you think I have everything to learn from you and you have nothing to learn from me?
I feel like this happens all the time. I just don't know why it needs to be that the things one person has done or become familiar with make someone else somehow lesser. When you say someone is "sheltered," you're assuming that there are specific experiences which somehow initiate someone into the "real world" which that person doesn't have. But how do you know they couldn't learn the same lessons in other ways? Can they only come from a particular set of circumstances? Why are you more worldly for the lessons you've learned than for the lessons they have?
I see this all the time and all it does is make one person feel shitty. Judgements.... GRRRR.
Isn't it much more worthwhile to get to know the person they are without trying to judge their experiences?
I've been wondering lately how much there is that I don't remember from elementary and middle school. Also, I want to go back to the brain doctor and ask them more questions; I don't quite get it. Is my bone-age normal now?
I am very very grateful for my Mom today =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I see a lot of that happen at FR--but in reverse. Because I go to private school, I am better than kids who go to public school.Either way, it really makes me mad.
It makes me mad too! I used to get really mad at FR people about that.
Post a Comment